Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Social Commentary

Title: Holding Hands
Date Taken: 11-22-12
Camera: COOLPIX S1100pj
Shutter Speed: 1/20
F-stop: 2.9
ISO: 80
Focal Length: 5 mm
Tripod: no

My goal in this photo was to show a theme I and many other people care about which is same sex relationships. The picture, in my opinion gives off a vibe of courage and happiness. Although many people are unaccepting of gay people, these two men are perfectly fine with displaying something as simple and affectionate as holding hands. Honestly, I did not have a process for taking this picture. I was carrying my camera around one day and just happened to come across these two men as they got out of their car. My intentions to begin with were to find some homeless people, but when it came time to actually take the picture I realized that it was kind of awkward to ask them if I could take a picture of them and even more awkward to creep on them. I felt it was alright to creep for this picture, however, because I like the angle on this one. Instead of focusing on someone's face, I'm focusing on their hands and their matching outfits. As for editing, I simply just sharpened the photo and put a black and white effect on it. I had one picture where the background was blurred out to focus more on the men holding hands, but it didn't turn out how I had wanted it to. I like the results of this picture. It was completely serendipitous and I think that is why I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment